Sunday, January 17, 2016

First steps in the process of designing and painting a landscape - Diptychs and Triptychs

First you must pick a subject matter that moves you. This is a location where I take students up to Maine to paint in June. It is a familiar spot and holds some excitement for me. I will take the image off my computer and print this out in black and white: one over exposed and the other under exposed. This is useful for seeing simplified shapes. Then I will print color, and also manipulate the color to give myself more information and ideas. It is great to have a hard copy because I can draw into it and/or cut it up to discover more ideas. Once selected, start into your thumb nail sketches which should only take about 10 minutes. These should not be labor intensive. This is the designing stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment